Things On To-Do List For Your New Home
The move is finally over! Time to take a break! Not so fast. Here are some things you should take care of right away in your new home.
- Change the locks or passcode for any electronic locks. It is unlikely the old homeowners will try to break in, but it still poses a security risk if your locks remain the same as they were for past residents.
- Locate any water mains shut offs, power panels and gas shut-offs. If your new home somehow develops a leak, has an electrical problem, or has a gas supply issue, you need to be able to deal with it quickly. Don’t wait until a problem arises to start tinkering around.
- Prepare an emergency escape plan. Before you need it, have it.
- Find out when garbage pick up days are. This will also definitely be useful for all of that moving trash and boxes you have accumulated!
- Figure out the best routes to school/work to avoid traffic.
- Meet the neighbors! They can look out for you and vise versa, help jump-start a dead battery ect.
- Find a good plumber, HVAC contractor, landscaper and anyone else you’ll need to maintain your new home.