Signs of a Furnace Gas Leak
Rotten Egg Smell
This is the most obvious sign of a gas leak. A smell of rotten egg coming from your furnace is something that should be addressed immediately.
A faulty gas valve or even an electrical issue can give off this kind of smell so it’s best to have a professional HVAC company come out and take a look.
It’s also possible that the smell could be coming from another appliance in the home such as a hot water tank or stove.
What To Do:
- If you notice a rotten egg smell coming from your furnace or air vents, it’s important to shut the furnace off immediately and call a professional for help. Go ahead and shut off your gas lines as well if you know how.
- Open the windows in your home to let the gas disperse.
- Do not light any matches or use devices that could cause a spark.
- Call your local HVAC professional or the gas company.
- Once the gas leak has been resolved, be sure to invest in a quality carbon monoxide detector for your home if you do not already have one. Remember that carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, and could be in your home without you even knowing it.